6.08.2013

A Girl and Her Glitter

After being on Pinterest for sometime now, I love searching through different pins and seeing what I could make. Well, I stumbled upon this tutorial on how to make a glitter letter... and I LOVE the way that it looks. There were only 4 short steps so I decided that it looked easy enough for me to do and I thought that I could do my own tutorial to give even more insight on how to make this! Lets start off with what you are going to need-




1) Paint- All you need this for is to paint your letter. Any color or brand will work as long as the paint is acrylic. Since I am going to be glittering my letter in silver I decided to paint my letter grey using this paint.

2) Glitter- Of course we are going to need glitter for our glitter letter! I just picked this can up from my local craft store a couple months ago and it was lying around my house- perfect to use for a glitter letter!

3) Mod Podge- A crafters best friend, this acts as the glue for your glitter to stay on your letter.

4) Wooden Letter- This can be any letter in the world that you want- I chose 'S' because I will be using this in an upcoming project in my room and 'S' stand for Sarah. This can be any shape, size, font, etc. In fact I went back and forth on which S I would choose at the store- they had SO many options!

5) Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating Spray- The "Secret Weapon" of this project. After spraying your glittery letter with this stuff- no glitter will be getting all up in your stuff. Thats one of the worst parts of using glitter, but this seals it in.



Step 1 Paint Your Letter- using your color of choice paint, paint the entire letter coating all of the sides- including the side you want to be glittered. Depending on the letter you have, you may need to do more than two coats, I did three on my letter just so it was completely covered. 



Step 2 Mod Podge That Baby Up- before you do this step you might want to make sure that your paint is completely dried. You should watch an episode of your favorite show, make yourself a snack, or whatever you do to pass the time. When the time finally comes to cover your letter- smother it. I put it all over the top of the letter. ***Be careful though, the Mod Podge can drip over the edge of your letter and make a glittery mess when you pore on the glitter. Wherever I saw it drip over I just took my finger and wiped it up (you can't be afraid to get a little messy!)


Step 3 Glitter, Glitter, and more Glitter- You heard me! POUR! You don't want to work to slow that all of the Mod Podge dries, but take your time and pour as much glitter as possible. Out of my little bottle I poured a little bit less than half of a bottle, but when i poured all of the excess back in I had a lot more in the bottle. ** Make sure that the surface you are using ok with getting a little bit of glitter on it- if not put down something for me it was wax paper that I could easily lift and put back into the bottle!



Step 4- Sit then Spit- say whaaaa? Sit and Spit? That doesn't make any sense. I know this is what you are probably thinking, but I call this sit and spit because this is the part of the project where I let the Mod Podge and glitter sit for a little while. I let it dry for about 10 minutes before I brought my big trash can over and spit all of the glitter off of that puppy. I shook and shook it until it seemed about right, then I headed out to my backyard grassy areas to get ready for the last step.


SOO MUCH GLITTER!

Step 5- Spray- The very mostest important step. This is where the magic happens baybay! I went outside like I said and brought with me my very purdy glitter letter and the UV-Resistant spray. I carefully put the letter in the grass and squatted over it. The  I spread the letter with the spray, just barely covering it, you don't want to drown it in this stuff just lightly coat it. Another thing is that if you stand to close your letter will look a little dull- so be careful! Now all you have to do is wait 15 minutes for that to dry and you got yourself a sparky sparky letter!




This turned out so cool! I'm so excited to use it in an upcoming project like I said! Again here's where my inspiration came from- this woman has some amazing stuff on her sight! Love, love, love it! In all this project took me about 2 hours- including drying and clean up time. I showed it off to my friend and she already said that she wants me to make her one. I might just have to- it was so easy! Hope you find it just as easy if you make one too. See ya later!
                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover