6.22.2013

Sea Glass Vase Tutorial

Recently I have stumbled upon this pin on pinterest a lot. Every time that I saw it there was never a tutorial that went around with it**. So, being the crafty kid that I am, I decided to try this out myself and make my own tutorial for those people who like more direction when they do a project. So after trying it out this is what I came up with-

** If you have the original picture for this pin please email or comment to let me know so that I can give proper credit!




1. Elmer's Glue- Good old fashion glue. We've all used it and we all probably have twenty bottles of it laying around our houses.

2. Vase- This can be any GLASS object that you would like to look like sea glass- anything! I just had this sitting around collecting dust.

3. Food Coloring- You mix this with the glue to get the color that you want. I chose pink- because it's my favorite! 

4. Paint brush- This isn't to specific, just any paint brush you have- although I did find while I did mine that the best to use is a FOAM brush. This one had bristles falling out of it and left behind little hairs.




Dump out your glue- Dump the glue that you will be using into a bowl- pretty simple. A tip would be to use an older bowl that you don't care that much about. Also you do not need to use the whole bottle- depending on what you are going to paint you can just guess. I had a little bit left in one bottle and just used the rest of it.



Mix in Your Food Coloring- Now all you do is add ONE DROP of food coloring into the glue you put into your bowl- one drop is plenty! (You can always add more to get what color you want) Mix everything together until it is evenly together.



Paint it on!- Now all you have to do is evenly coat your glass vase with the glue/ food coloring mixture. Try to not get any streaks- but if you do you can always go over it a second time. I did a couple coats until my vase was too my liking. The tops dried differently then the rest so, I just kept applying the glue onto the vase until it look how I wanted it to. Once you are finished you are going to want to let your glass object dry for a little bit. I let mine dry overnight and it turned out great!



Voila! This turned out pretty sweet. It looks a little orange in lighting in the picture but when you are holding it it is a perfect bubble gum pink. I turned mine into a little nail file holder for a cute way to display my favorite filers! This project was so simple but it really spruced up a boring glass vase. I think it's super cool. 
 If you don't already follow me on Pinterest here! I like to find pins and try to do them myself and document them on this blog! So, until next time, Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover