7.15.2013

Cereal Box Letters

In my last post you saw that I made these letters out of cereal boxes that I found in my pantry- here's a simple tutorial to make these by yourself!





You'll Need
  • A Cereal Box
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Scissors 
  • Paint
  • Painters Tape (for the chevron)
  • Toothpick (for the dotted sides)



1. Print out a guide- that you will use to trace on to your cereal box. Make it a desired font and size- I used Century Gothic in size 800- but its up to you if you want the letter to be larger or smaller. Then just cut it out when its printed.

2. Cut your cereal box- so that it is completely flat and make sure that the sides of the cereal box are still in tack. 




3. Trace your cut out letter- onto the OUTSIDE of the cereal box (where its printed with words). Make sure that when you do this you are tracing the letter backwards or you will run into trouble later- you want to do this twice- I did not take a picture of this step but the way you trace it should look something like this-

{You need one K going the right way and one K going backwards}
4. Cut out the letters

5. Using the leftover cereal box- cut equal height cardboard pieces that match up with the sides of letter.  After you make all of the sides you can hot glue them into the right places.





6. Once all pieces are glued on you can carefully glue on the top part of the letter- but be sure to work quickly.



7. Paint your letter however you want. I of course did mine with a chevron pattern on the front using painters tape and on the sides I used three different colors to create a almost paint splattered effect using different sized dots made by toothpicks!


{To show off the sides}

Additional Comments-

  • Since I had two letters - I glued the 8 to the K at a slant 
  • I left the back white and wrote a happy birthday note to the birthday girl!
  • The 8 has a flat bottom so that it stands on its own- just flatten any curved lines on the bottom- U, S, C, B, etc.
  • You can use this it really make anything- letters, shapes, etc. Perfect for a large number for a birthday party decoration
  • Originally I was going to tie balloons to this- but never got a chance to pick balloons up from the store.

Well that's about it- I tried to make this easy to follow but I know it may sound a little confusing- if you have any questions you can just comment of shoot me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover